Police interview with suspect reveals chilling details - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Police interview with suspect reveals chilling details in student's death

Posted: Updated:
Gregory O'Bryan at a court appearance Gregory O'Bryan at a court appearance
Louisville, KY -

By Janelle MacDonald - bio | email

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The Jefferson County Commonwealth's Attorney's Office publicly released video of Gregory O'Bryan's police interview Thursday. It's part of the court discovery in the murder case against him for the death of Andrew Compton.

The Sullivan University student disappeared from his Louisville dorm October 28, 2010.

A week and a half later, police had the man he was last seen with - O'Bryan - in custody, answering questions about what happened to Compton.

"I think we both wanted to be boyfriends," O'Bryan told detectives, "so we did some things like drink alcohol."

O'Bryan told police the night Compton disappeared was the second time he picked up the 18-year-old college student he met online.

"Well, first we had sex, then we started drinking and doing pot," he said.

"I was very drunk," O'Bryan continued.

Louisville Metro Police homicide detective Jon Lesher asked if Compton was drunk.

"I don't ... I can't really remember how drunk he got," O'Bryan said.

Then O'Bryan tells detectives there's more.

"Is there any way I can get, like, a deal out of this if I tell you what really happened?" he asked.

O'Bryan says he and Compton started having sex again.

"It was like, kind of a strange position or something on that couch and he was so small and I looked up and he was dead," said O'Bryan.

"I started crying. I was like, 'Please come back to life,'" he added.

He says he took Compton into the bedroom in the apartment and slept all night next to his body. Then in the morning, O'Bryan says he tossed his body in a dumpster.

"I put him in a box and I had this nice rug in my bedroom," he said. "I did everything I could to make it nice. I even had a coat in the trunk of my car that I put around him. I know that's a horrible way to get rid of someone."

"I was saying, 'Andrew, if you want to keep me from getting in trouble, you're going to have to make sure that there's nobody around,'" O'Bryan continued.

O'Bryan told police he spent much of the next week and a half drunk, trying to get over Compton's death.

"This killed me," he said. "I've been crying for like a week and a half, probably more than his parents. We could have been boyfriends. It was an accident."

O'Bryan also told police he takes at least three medications daily for his schitzo-affective disorder. He's currently housed in Metro Correction's mental health unit.

His trial is now scheduled for January 2012.

[Gregory O'Bryan Arrest Report]

[Gregory O'Bryan Murder Indictment]

[Notice of Aggravating Circumstances]

Previous Stories:

Copyright 2011 WAVE News. All rights reserved.