Police Involved In Deadly Shooting Say Suspect Tried To Run Them Down - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Police Involved In Deadly Shooting Say Suspect Tried To Run Them Down

By James Zambroski

(GHENT, Ky.) -- Police say they were forced to shoot and kill a suspect Wednesday after he attempted to run them over with a police cruiser he had stolen. It happened about 2 p.m. in Carroll County, Kentucky about mile away from the town of Ghent. Now police are investigating how Michael Reilly got away from officers after he was arrested for domestic assault. WAVE 3 Investigator James Zambroski has the story.

Carroll County Deputy Sheriff Jim Hamilton and Kentucky State Trooper Dave Roberts were looking for Reilley Wednesday avenue. They had a warrant for his arrest in reference to a domestic violence assault complaint after was apparently involved in a fight with his brother. 

Police managed to pull him over at Kentucky Highway 47 and Ghent-Eagle Station Road, where he was placed under arrest and handcuffed. But then things went terribly wrong.

"Mr. Reilly was able to escape custody and steal the trooper's vehicle," said Kentucky State Trooper Greg Larimore. "Upon stealing the trooper's vehicle, a short pursuit ensued. The trooper and deputy sheriff went in the deputy sheriff's patrol car, chasing the state police car."

Larimore says Reilly suddenly stopped the car, but as officers approached, "he put the car in reverse and attempted to run over the officers. The officers retreated and fired in self defense, attempting to get away from the vehicle."

As shots were fired, Larimore says Reilly rolled forward and struck a barn. "After striking the barn, the vehicle sat, motionless. The trooper and deputy sheriff approached the vehicle again, investigating the condition of Mr. Reilly."

That's when Larimore says Reilly once again put the car in reverse and tried to run over Trooper Roberts, and both officers again opened fire. "Mr. Reilly was apparently struck at least one time, and died there at the scene."

We're told that even though Reilly had his hands cuffed behind his back, he somehow managed to get his hands around in front of him and drive the car.

Police say Reilly was unarmed.

Both officers have been placed on paid administration pending the outcome of the investigation.

Michael Reilly's family says they want more answers in this incident, which they say started with a fight between Michael and his brother, J.R. Reilly earlier that day.

J.R. Says he and his mother tried to get Reilly to calm down, but he took off in his car. The next thing they knew, officers were delivering some bad news and they want it fully investigated.

Family members say they don't believe Reilly could have threatened officers as they described if he were still wearing handcuffs.

Online Reporter: James Zambroski

Online Producer: Michael Dever