Gang Member's Testimony Could Solve Three Murders - News, Weather & Sports

Gang Member's Testimony Could Solve Three Murders

By James Zambroski

(LOUISVILLE, August 20th, 2004) -- A major break in a case could bring down a gang that police say terrorized Louisville by killing three people. Witnesses have been afraid to come forward until now. A member of the Victory Park Crips has turned against the gang and will testify against them. WAVE 3 Investigator James Zambroski has more.

Police say Kenneth "Wee Wee" Parker, Wilbert "Tom Tom" Bethel and five others in a gang called the "Victory Park Crips" by some (also known as the "Rat Pack" by others), terrorized the west end in the 1990s, killing three people and trying to kill four others.

Jailed since 2002, Marcus "Toot" Stallard has decided to tell what he knows. His attorney, Kevin Jaggers gave us some insight into why Stallard has decided to come forward. "Two years have gone by; Marcus Stallard is a relatively young man, he'd had two years to reflect on these incidents. He's matured, and as I think he expressed in court, he was remorseful."

Stallard admitted he was present on July 31, 2000, when Laknogony McCurley, a Central High School graduate, died in a hail of gunfire. The killing outraged the community

Stallard says he was driving the car with the shooters when they opened fire at Brook and Chestnut Streets near Jewish Hospital. It was an ambush aimed at three teenagers in a car driven by honor student Laknogony McCurley.

One of the victims ran into the Jewish hospital emergency room for help, but it was too late for McCurley. She was dead behind the wheel.

Kenneth Parker, his brother Deshawn 'Dshot' Parker and Bethel are now being charged with McCurley's murder.

Stallard described how Kenneth Parker learned that they'd killed the wrong person. "He asked, 'did Ken and Cary and them get hit?' And they said, 'no a girl got killed.' He hung up and sat down. And we talked about it."

McCurley's grandfather says the alleged mistake that took away his granddaughter haunts the family to this day. "Not a day that goes by that the family doesn't think about Laknogony and then, thinking about the way she was taken from us and how she was taken from us."

Stallard apologized in court, but McCurley's grandfather was unfazed. "Whether he meant it or not, we don't know. But all we can do is take his word for it. But that still don't make it right."

Stallard pleaded guilty to facilitation to murder and four other counts. Under a plea agreement, he'll be sentenced to five years probation as long as he agrees to testify against Parker and others in their trials.

Parker's trial is scheduled to begin September 27th.

Previous Stories:

Online Reporter: James Zambroski

Online Reporter: Michael Dever

Powered by Frankly