HUNTINGTON, IN (AP) - Officials say an 8-year-old Garrett girl died after breathing in exhaust from the boat she was riding on just before falling into J. Edward Roush Lake in Huntington County.
An autopsy Tuesday revealed not enough oxygen was flowing to Jesslynn Gustin's brain because of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Jesslynn was seated on the rear of the boat when she lost consciousness and fell off shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
A family member retrieved her less than a minute later. She was taken by helicopter to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
She was pronounced dead Monday.
Jesslynn is survived by her parents and four siblings. Her funeral is scheduled for Thursday.