SHELBYVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A Shelby County father says he is eternally grateful to the live-in nanny that saved the life of his 5-year-old son.
"For someone to sacrifice their life to save my son, that's amazing," said JB Hawes.
Hawes was in Minnesota on company business when a fire destroyed his home on Golden Rod Court, early on the morning of March 24. His son, Aden, and their live-in nanny, Alyson Myatt, were sleeping when Alyson was awakened by a 'loud boom' made by the collapse of the ceiling upstairs.
Thinking Aden had fallen, Myatt immediately ran upstairs to check on him. At the top of the stairs, Myatt found the bathroom on fire along with the carpet in the hallway. Without hesitation, Myatt ran through flames and rescued Aden.
"It makes me feel guilty I wasn't here," Hawes said.
But Hawes is grateful Myatt was. He calls her his angel.
"Just wanted to thank her for saving my son's life," said Hawes.
Aden said he is thankful his nanny saved his life.
"She saved me from the fire," Aden said. "I just miss her so much. She loves me and I love her."
Myatt is recovering at University Hospital from severe burns to her right hand and both feet.
JB and Aden Hawes are staying at a hotel.