Body of missing soldier found

Taylorsville, KY - By Marisela Burgos - bio | email 
Posted by Charles Gazaway - email

TAYLORSVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officials said rangers with the Army Corps of Engineers found the body of a Fort Knox soldier who had been missing since Memorial Day weekend.

23-year-old Specialist Anthony Carter was last seen swimming in Taylorsville Lake on May 29. According to Sgt. Scott Herndon with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife, Carter rented a boat with his friends from Taylorsville Lake Marina at 1 p.m. that day. By 4:15 p.m., Carter was missing.

"His friends told us there was a Coke can floating in the lake. I don't know whether he decided it was a good distance to swim or what and they aren't even sure if he retrieved the can, but he saw this can floating and jumped in to go after it. And on his return trip back to the boat is when he went under," Herndon said. "{His} friends never heard any struggling. {They} never heard any yells, screams or anything -just turned around and {he} was gone."

Carter was in the Indiana National Guard and served in Afghanistan. A spokesperson for the Fish and Wildlife Department said Carter was sent home from his deployment because of diabetes and has been serving in the Warrior Transition Unit at Fort Knox since November 2009. Herndon said Carter told his friends on the day he vanished that his blood sugar must be getting low.

"It kind of leads us to wonder if that's not a contributing factor, but we don't know for sure," Herndon said.

Carter's body was found about 20 to 30 feet from where officials believed he went underwater. Autopsy results have not been released.

Officials said Carter was from Syracuse, IN. Since Memorial Day, Carter's mother and stepfather have been in the area waiting for news. Herndon said officers had been giving them daily updates and delivering today's news was difficult.

"They were distraught and upset. Also, I think of this late state of being so long, its finally a relief that it was coming to some type of conclusion," Herndon said.

Herndon said crews never stopped searching for Carter's body, but the area where he went under was difficult to search because of trees and brush.

Javan Montgomery, owner of Taylorsville Lake Marina, said swimmers need to be careful because there are trees and stickups in the water.

"It's definitely a sad situation," said Montgomery. "We don't ever like to have accidents happen and that's why it's one of the reasons we call this place the 'safe harbor.' We want people to remain safe."

Montgomery stressed there have been thousands of people in Taylorsville Lake since Carter disappeared and there have not been any accidents. He said people need to remember to use a flotation device.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved.