Police: 18 confirmed dead in Arkansas flash flood - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Police: 18 confirmed dead in Arkansas flash flood

LANGLEY, AR (AP) - Arkansas State Police Capt. Mike Fletcher says the death toll from flash floods that swept through a popular campground has reached 18.

Fletcher said Saturday that he had no details about the 18th victim.

Authorities have publicly identified 15 of the 18 victims. Eight were from Louisiana, six were from Texas and one was from Arkansas. Among them were six young children.

Search and rescue crews have been scouring the wilderness in and around the Albert Pike Recreation Area near Langley for survivors and bodies since Friday's flash floods

Crews are searching on ATVs, canoes and horseback for dozens of missing people since a flash flood swept through a popular campground before dawn on Friday. Authorities say the floodwaters rose as swiftly as 8 feet per hour as they swept through the Albert Pike Recreation Area.

The campground in the Ouachita National Forest had been packed with vacationing families.

Arkansas state police say the number of people missing after flash flooding on a pair of rivers is down to about two dozen.

Although there were reports to a call center on Friday of about 73 people unaccounted for, Fletcher of the Arkansas State Police says only about 24 people were missing as of Saturday morning.

He says no survivors were found Saturday.

Officials say the search for the missing could take days, if not weeks.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly