LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Sunday was a busy day for athletes in Louisville. Thousands of contestants ran, biked, and swam in the Ford Ironman triathlon.
The Ironman got under way at dawn Aug. 29 at Waterfront Park. Great Britain's Paul Ambrose celebrated his first Ironman win, while Australia's Rebekah Keat captured her second. The race consists of 2.4 mile swim, 112 mike bike, and a 26.2 mile run.
Many streets around downtown and throughout Jefferson and Oldham County will be closed for much of the day for the Ironman.
Top five professional men's results:
1. Paul Ambrose, GBR, 8:29:59
2. Martin Jensen, DNK, 8:41:54
3. Max Longree, GER, 8:50:10
4. Patrick Evoe, USA, 8:53:14
5. Sergio Marques, PRT, 9:05:04
Top five professional women's results:
1. Rebekah Keat, AUS, 9:33:15
2. Kim Loeffler, USA, 9:44:23
3. Bree Wee, USA, 9:50:35
4. Lisbeth Kristensen, DNK, 10:12:06
5. Kelzie Beebe, USA, 10:43:02