Police raid 'stash house' in Louisville's west end

Louisville, KY - By Elizabeth Donatelli - bio | email
Posted by Mike Dever - email

NEW ALBANY, IN (WAVE) - Nearly two dozen people have been rounded up in drug trafficking ring that spans from Louisville all the way up to just outside of Chicago, but in the search a woman says her nephew was wrongly searched in that bust because law enforcement had the wrong address.

Thursday morning as Walter Smith took his daily walk around Chickasaw Park, he asked an officer why there were so many police cars.

"I said: 'What is it a hostage situation?'" asked Smith. "He said: 'No, not a hostage. We don't know what's going. They haven't told us."

Since then we have learned police and agents were searching a "stash house" in the 4500 block of Greenwood Ave. Court records explain there were hoards of cash and bulk quantities of cocaine.

"It's a peaceful neighborhood," said Smith surprised. "You never see anything like that going on."

So far 21 people have been indicted. All but three were charged with conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute and distribution. 46-year-old Jesse K. Bottoms, Sr. was named the leader. He is facing several charges and on one count alone could be facing life in prison and a $4 million fine.

A press release from the US Attorney's Office, Southern District of Indiana served 16 search warrants, but WAVE 3 has learned one of the eight in Indiana may have been to the wrong house.

"In the morning, asleep on the couch and busting in," said Judy Drummond on behalf of her mentally challenged nephew . "Scared is not the word."

Her nephew lives on Ealy Street in New Albany. She claims police and the feds got the wrong house.

"Grabbed him and jerked him around and put the hand cuffs on him and stepped on his hands, so they must have had him on the floor," said Drummond.

Drummond said police ended up not arresting her nephew. She showed us a "flash bang" device that makes a loud noise. She said police threw it into the home, but one didn't detonate. So she called the bomb squad the next day to take it away.

"The police invaded a home and they left a contraption laying on the deck that look likes it has not been detonated," said Drummond on the phone to police.

Drummond's nephew is not named in the indictment, but Marshaun Long, who lives across the street, was.

"The community's supposed to be able to trust the police, not to bust in on the wrong people," said Long.

WAVE 3 left a message with the Floyd County Sheriff. The FBI referred all media calls to the US Attorney's Office. The prosecutor was in court all day and did not call back.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved.