Indianapolis scouts camp fire blamed on chemicals - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Indianapolis scouts camp fire blamed on chemicals

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Investigators say the fire that destroyed the training center of an Indianapolis Boy Scouts camp was an accident caused by spontaneous combustion.

Lawrence fire Lt. Brian Millard said Friday that buffer pads and other materials used in stripping and refinishing the center's floors were improperly disposed of in a trash can. Those items ignited, causing the Nov. 24 fire at Camp Belzer near Fort Harrison State Park.

Millard said the product bottles included warnings not to place the chemicals in a closed container because of the risk of spontaneous combustion.

Scout officials say the training center was insured and that they hope to begin rebuilding soon.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly