Two adults, 3-year-old child rushed to hospital after AM fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Two adults, 3-year-old child rushed to hospital after early morning fire

Louisville, KY -

By Matt McCutcheon - e-mail | bio

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Three people, including a 3-year-old child, had to be pulled from a burning home in Louisville's Portland neighborhood.

The fire started at a home at the intersection of Bank and 29 Streets at around 5:00 Tuesday morning.

The fire started in what's described as a crawl space or basement area of the two-story white home.

"Fire and smoke that's all I saw and smelled," said resident Clint Harris.

That's how he started his Tuesday.

"I just woke up, someone told me my house is on fire so I came down here to figure out what was going on," Harris said.

He's lived in the white two-story home his entire life.   Despite years of memories, his focus quickly turned to his family and his pet iguana.

"My house burned. No where to stay," Harris said in shock.

While the investigation continues, it appears a heating unit is to blame.

"That was in the basement and it took a little while for them to recognize the smoke detectors and wake them up and so we had to do a search and find," said Major Tony Cipoloa with Louisville Fire & Rescue.

Three people -- including a three-year-old child -- went to the hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters say they usually see a spike in fires during the winter.

At just about 7:00 Tuesday, the temperature was exactly 20 degrees; the feels like temperatures even colder. That has furnaces and other devices working overtime, making it a very tense time of the year for firefighters.

"After we had control of this fire we did get dispatched to another run that turned out to be a furnace that had a malfunctioning motor," Major Cipoloa said.

That second run didn't turn out to be a fire - but two calls within an hour all tied to winter heating issues spark a huge reminder.

"It's a good time of year to get them inspected and make sure they're running properly," Major Cipoloa said.

At this time, fire investigators believe the fire started as a result of a malfunctioning heating unit, but that still remains under investigation.

After the flames were extinguished, he and a firefighter dashed back in to pull a pet iguana from the home.  The iguana was not injured.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly