Suspect shot during holdup attempt, drives to another business

Knapp's Food Mart
Knapp's Food Mart
Kim Walls
Kim Walls
Short Stop Food Mart
Short Stop Food Mart

By Matt McCutcheon - e-mail | bio

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Police are investigating a robbery and shooting that happened at one place, yet caused police to work two scenes.

Police say the suspect turned shooting victim entered Knapp's Food Mart at 4129 Flintlock Drive around 8:30 Wednesday morning, which is during normal business hours. What took place next was not normal, police say.

"He was taken to the business office of the store where the owner was there and the suspect did receive an undisclosed amount of cash,"said LMPD Spokesperson Dwight Mitchell. "An altercation ensued where the business owner did shoot at the suspect inside the store where he apparently was shot and the suspect then fled the scene."

About 15 minutes after the clerk reported the incident, a man with an apparent gunshot wound showed up at the Short Stop Food Mart at 2119 Upper Hunters Trace in a green Chevy Blazer and said he had been shot.

Kim Walls says she had just dropped her daughter off at school and pulled into the business, when she heard a commotion in the parking lot.

"He was staggering and then he fell into the big puddle of water so I ran over there to see if he was okay and I saw he had blood all over his hand," Walls said.

Walls says the man told her he had just been shot six times and wanted to go home.  Police are not confirming how many times he had been shot.

"I was standing there to make sure he was okay – his lips were white and he just kept telling me he wanted to go home," Walls said. "He kept begging me to take him home and I said, 'No, police and an ambulance are on the way,' and he kept saying was he was going to go to jail, he was going to go to jail," Walls said.

A man who claimed to be a friend of the shooting victim arrived at the scene and tried to help. Police were interviewing him.

A woman identifying herself as the man's mother also showed up and tried to leave with him, but was so shaken up she could not start the vehicle. Police were interviewing her, but she has not been identified.

The man, described as a white male in his 20s or 30s, was taken to University Hospital.  His condition isn't known, but police say he suffered what appear to be non-life threatening injuries.

Police are not ruling out that he could be tied to other robberies in the area. Their investigation continues.

WAVE 3 News and will bring you any updates throughout the day.

Copyright 2011 WAVE News. All rights reserved.