Man sentenced for shooting two girls at Louisville school - News, Weather & Sports

Man sentenced for shooting two girls at Louisville school

Parrish Hayden, Jr. in court on February 2, 2011. Parrish Hayden, Jr. in court on February 2, 2011.

By Matt McCutcheon - e-mail | bio | facebook

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A homecoming school dance turned tragic in Louisville back in February of 2010, when a teen fired several shots, striking two girls and nearly hitting at least two more.

Nearly a year after that event, the suspect was officially sentenced by Judge Charles Cunningham Junior.

Eighteen-year-old Parrish Hayden Junior will serve a total of eight years for the crime.

Court records show it all unfolded on Friday, February 12, 2010 outside Central High School during a school dance.

Hayden apparently fired several shots, striking one girl in the chest, another in the arm, and barely missing at least two other people.

The girls who were shot suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Central hosted a football game against Doss that night, with tons of students around for the post-game dance.

According to LMPD Spokeswoman Alicia Smiley, the girls, ages 19 and 15, were walking outside the school with a group of five people when they were shot.

"Apparently, there was a man who walked up to them, fired several shots," Smiley said during an interview in 2010. "[The bullets] struck the 2 females and then he left the area."

Each girl suffered from one gunshot wound. It is unclear whether the girls knew each other, or if they were headed to the game or the dance.

Smiley says officers were in the area earlier that evening.

"Our officers were called to this area, earlier, because there were a large number of people inside who had not been able to get inside. We were called to disperse a crowd," she said during an interview in 2010.

Christopher Cook said he rushed to Central High School when his daughter called to tell him there had been a shooting outside the school.

"That's my baby girl," Cook said during a 2010 interview.

Cook's daughter, 14-year-old Courtney, was a Freshman at Central last year and was at the dance when the shooting happened.

"It was very scary," Christopher Cook said. "Being a vet, that's something that I go through - not my child."

Hayden was arrested and charged a short time after the shooting.

In December of 2010, his attorney, Frank Jewell entered a plea agreement with the Commonwealth's Erin McKenzie.

Hayden had been charged with "Criminal Attempted Murder" and "Assault".  The plea agreement calls for those charges to be downgraded to "Assault under extreme emotional disturbance" and "Wanton Endangerment".

The sentencing equates to a grand total of eight years to be served.  Hayden's already served nearly one year of jail time already, meaning he'll have to serve seven more.

Under terms of the plea agreement, Hayden won't be eligible for shock probation, which could have dramatically cut down on that sentence.

Copyright 2011 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly