Miller Lite sponsors Free Rides on Derby Eve
LOUISVILLE, KY - TARC will provide service to Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Oaks and Derby on regular routes that will follow detours away from the track starting at about 4:30 p.m. on both race days.
Routes providing the most direct access are: #2 – Second Street; #4 – Fourth Street; #6 – Sixth Street; and #29 – Eastern Parkway. Frequency of bus arrival times vary, from every 15 minutes on Route #4 on Friday to 90 minutes between buses on Route #2 on Saturday. Passengers are encouraged to plan ahead and know their routes and schedules.
After the races, buses will pick people up at a different stop than where they were dropped off.
TARC no longer provides shuttle service from downtown, Papa John's Stadium or the Fairgrounds due to changes in federal regulations regarding private charter service.
On Derby and Oaks days, TARC service will be available at the regularly scheduled times on all routes for the usual fare of $1.50. Route #2 provides service downtown and to and from Louisville International Airport. Route #4 covers parts of downtown, the University of Louisville, Old Louisville, and neighborhoods near Iroquois Park. Route #6 provides service in downtown, Iroquois Park neighborhoods and the area near Auburndale. Route #29 connects Shively, UofL, the Highlands and St. Matthews.
For the third straight year, TARC bus and trolley rides on Derby Eve starting at 6 p.m. will be free, thanks to the Miller Lite Free Rides™ program. The program is designed to reduce drunk driving during big events by providing a safe transportation option. The First Friday Trolley Hop is also Friday night along Main and Market Streets until midnight, providing access to downtown establishments and the Miller Lite-sponsored Derby Eve Jam on the waterfront.
For more information about schedules and fares, visit www.ridetarc.org or call TARC's Customer Service Department at 502-585-1234, TTY 502-213-3240. Miller Lite Free Rides program information is available at: www.MillerLiteFreeRides.com.
TARC DETOURS FOR OAKS AND DERBY DAYS
On Oaks and Derby days, Fourth Street and Central Avenue will be closed all day. All Iroquois Park and Southland Park buses will detour when streets are closed. Below are details about detour routing and times.
Route #4 Fourth Street: Oaks and Derby Day detours
Until 4:30 p.m.
- Southbound – bus will follow the regular route to Cardinal, turn left on Cardinal, right on 3rd Street to the regular route.
- Northbound – bus will continue on 3rd to 2nd Street, turn left on Cardinal, right on 4th Street then follow the regular route.
From 4:20 p.m. to 9:10 p.m.
- Southbound – buses leaving Jackson and Chestnut at 4:20 p.m. will turn left on Cardinal onto Brandeis, right on Bradley, right on Crittenden Drive, right on Nevada/Woodlawn overpass, to regular route at Third and Woodlawn, then south. All regular line 4th Street southbound coaches leaving Fourth and Main streets until after 9:10 p.m. will use the route via Highland Park. Then coaches will return to the regular southbound route.
From 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Northbound - buses leaving Iroquois or Southland Park will detour from Woodlawn Avenue to Woodlawn overpass, turn left on Crittenden Drive, left on Bradley, left on Brandeis to Cardinal Boulevard, turn right on 4th Street then follow the regular route.
Route #6 Sixth Street: Oaks Day from 4:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Derby Day from 4:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- Northbound - buses will turn left on Berry Boulevard, right on 7th Street to the regular route.
- Southbound – buses will continue on 7th Street, left on Berry Boulevard, right on Taylor then to the regular route.
Route #29 Eastern Parkway: Oaks and Derby Day
- Eastbound - 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – buses will turn left on 7th Street Road from Berry Boulevard, continue on 7th Street Road to Algonquin, turn right on Algonquin to the regular route.
- Westbound – the route is to remain open.
For more information on detours affecting your trip, call TARC at (502) 585-1234; TTY: (502) 213-3240.