LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - If you're planning to hit Kentucky Interstates or highways for the Memorial Day weekend, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet would like the public to be aware of the following conditions and/or operations for the Revive the Drive interstate projects:
Remember - all construction is weather dependent.
I-71/I-75 Cut in the Hill NB (186 – 191 mile marker) will be restricted to ONE LANE THIS WEEKEND – See Exit and Entrance Ramp Closures
I-75 SB on Brent Spence Bridge scheduled for lane closures over the weekend.
- Northbound I-75 – (Cut in the Hill) MP 186-191 - Over the weekend from Friday, May 27th beginning at 11:00 PM until 5:00 AM Monday, May 30th, traffic will be restricted to one lane between the Dixie Highway (Exit 188) and the Brent Spence Bridge. During this weekend closure, the entrance ramp from KY 1072 (Kyles Lane) to I-75 northbound, the I-75 northbound exit ramp at 12th Street/MLK Blvd. (Exit 191) and the 4th Street entrance ramp to northbound I-75 will be closed.
- Southbound I-75 – Brent Spence Bridge - Over the weekend traffic will be restricted as follows on the Brent Spence Bridge:
Friday, May 27th from 11:00 PM to Saturday, May 28th at 7:00 AM: One lane of traffic.
Saturday, May 28th from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM: Two lanes of traffic.
Saturday, May 28th from 11:00 PM to Sunday, May 29th at 9:00 AM: One lane of traffic.
Sunday, May 29th from 9:00 AM to Monday, May 30th at 5:00 AM: Two lanes of traffic.
EXPECT LONG DELAYS. Use of an alternate route is advised. I-275 is the suggested alternate route.
This area goes from the Rivard Drive underpass, which is north of Dixie Highway in Fort Mitchell, to the Brent Spence Bridge over the Ohio River. Work will replace sections of concrete pavement as well as joint repair work on several bridges. Cost of project: $14.2 million. John R. Jurgensen Company and Subsidiary, of Cincinnati, Ohio is the contractor. Expected completion: Dec. 1, 2011.
I-275 WB from KY 9 (AA Highway) in Campbell County to US 25 (Dixie Highway) in Kenton County
- There will be no active construction work from May 24 – June 3rd.
- Beginning Friday, June 3, the I-275 WB will be reduced to two lanes from before the I-275 Bridge over KY 17 and the I-275 Bridge over Horsebranch Road (79 – 81 mile-marker). The closure is scheduled to remain in place until 7 am on Monday, June 20, 2011.
- The exit ramp from I-275 WB to KY 17 (Exit 80) will be closed beginning at 7 pm, Friday, June 3, 2011 for approximately 2 weeks.
- Nightly lane closures are possible from 7 pm until 7 am on I-275 WB from KY 9 to US 25 Dixie Highway. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the roadway. Expect delays particularly during peak traffic times.
Project Summary - This is a concrete pavement project that includes the I-275 EB Exit ramp to KY 9 in Wilder to be widened. There will be an additional lane added for a dual left turn from the EB I -275 exit to NB KY 9. The improvement will help alleviate exit traffic backing up on I-275. The project also includes adding median cable barriers on I-275. Cost of project: $15 million. John R. Jurgensen Company and Subsidiary, of Cincinnati, Ohio is the contractor. Expected completion: Dec. 1, 2011.
I-75 and I-275 Interchange in Kenton County
Traffic will encounter lane closures on I-75 and I-275 as scheduled below, as crews begin painting operations on the bridges at this interchange. The roadway will be reduced to two lanes of traffic between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM, and then to one lane of traffic from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning. Traffic should use caution when traveling through these restrictions and be prepared for delays:
- I-275 eastbound between Mineola Pike (Exit 2) and the I-75/I-275 Interchange (MP 84) Tuesday, May 31, thru Friday, June 3.
- I-275 westbound between US 25 (Exit 82) and the I-75/I-275 Interchange (MP 84) Tuesday, May31, thru Friday, June 3.
All the I-275 steel bridges in Kenton County will be painted. Eighteen bridges in all, including Dr. Poweleit Licking River Bridge, KY 16, KY 17, KY 1303, US 25, CNO and TP Railroad Bridge, Crescent Springs Road and I-75/I-275 interchange bridges. All will be blast-cleaned of old paint and triple-coated. Cost of project: $15.5 million. ATSALIS Brothers Painting Co., of Clinton Township, Michigan, is the contractor. Expected completion: Nov. 15, 2012. Both projects will be done simultaneously.
I-71 SB and NB in Boone and Gallatin Counties
- Work already in progress. Crews will be working during weekdays only beginning Tuesday at 9 pm until Fridays at noon. No weekend work will take place.
Project Summary - The 18-mile project area extends from the I-71/I-75 interchange to the vicinity of Sparta Exit 57 (77.7 - 59.7 mile marker). The project is addressing base failures (potholes and ruts), repairing three slide areas and installing guardrail at various locations. Eaton Asphalt Paving Co. Inc., of Covington, Kentucky is the prime contractor. Message boards are in place to warn motorists of the work zone and lane closures. Speed limit reduced to 55 mph. Expected completion: Late fall 2011.
I-275 WB in Boone County
- Work already in progress. Only night time work will be done on this section. Crews will typically be working from 7 pm until 5 am during the week with some weekend work also occurring.