LOUISVILLE, Ky.(Aug. 15, 2011)—Bellarmine University announced today that the NCAA has granted basketball All American Jeremy Kendle an additional three semesters of eligibility, which means he will have two more full years to compete for the Knights.
Kendle, a 6-2 guard out of Jeffersonville (Ind.) High School, came to Bellarmine in the fall of 2009 after battling injuries throughout a stint at Olney Central Community College. Multiple injuries limited Kendle's play at Olney Central to just two games, which falls well below the 20 percent guideline of the NCAA. Due to the medical hardship, the NCAA ruled that Kendle would not have to forfeit any eligibility.
Kendle, who is on track to graduate in December and will begin pursuit of a master's degree in the spring, said that the news was quite a relief. "I'm just really relieved to finally hear the NCAA's decision. I feel very fortunate to be able to compete with my teammates for another two years. I would like to thank everyone for their support and help with this process. I'm really excited to get this year rolling and build on the success of last year."
"I'm just so delighted because Jeremy is a deserving young man who comes from a super, very supportive family," said Bellarmine Coach Scott Davenport. "He has made sound decisions with his life but had the misfortune of suffering several injuries."
Davenport also heaped praise on Bellarmine's assistant athletic director for compliance Marilyn Staples, who oversaw Bellarmine's request to the NCAA and is retiring at the end of the month after 43 years of service to Bellarmine. "I told Marilyn she couldn't retire until this matter was resolved, and as far as I'm concerned, she saved her best for last!" he said. "I have no words to describe how much I appreciate the work of Marilyn Staples."