LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Soon the world's horse racing capitol will host the world championships, the Breeders' Cup. Churchill Downs is tweaking plans and preparing the track for next weekend's race.
More than 71,000 fans watched as the undefeated racing phenomenon Zenyatta lost by a head in 2010. Without a major star thoroughbred this year, WAVE 3 wanted to know if the track will be able to attract the casual racing fan when Churchill Downs hosts the Breeders' Cup November 4 and 5.
"We're very pleased with where we are. We feel like we've held up really well given the economy and everything," said Kevin Flanery, Churchill Downs president.
For the first time in its history, the world championships will be held at Churchill Downs in consecutive years. Craig Fravel, the Breeders' Cup president, wouldn't elaborate when the event will return again.
"Right now we haven't made any plans beyond 2012," said Fravel. "There's no big secret we're talking to New York about 2013. Beyond that time frame, we're still working on developing long term strategy about future sites."
The 28th Breeders' Cup will mark a record eighth time that the championships will be held under Twin Spires. Preparations are well underway both inside and outside the track. Come the first weekend of November, you'll notice traffic changes. Below are a list of restrictions and closures provided by the Louisville Metro Police Department:
Restricted Traffic (Permitted vehicles only) from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm on Friday, November 4, 2011 and from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Saturday, November 5, 2011
- Central Avenue from Taylor Boulevard to Floyd Street
- Ninth Street from Central Avenue to Heywood Avenue
- Ninth Street from Central Avenue to Homeview Drive
Street Closure from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Saturday, November 5, 2011
- Fourth Street from Heywood Avenue to Oakdale Avenue
No Parking Areas from 8:00 am on Friday, November 4 , 2011 until 9:00 pm on Saturday, November 5 , 2011
- Central Avenue from Taylor Blvd to Ninth Street
- Third Street from the Watterson Expressway to Cardinal Blvd.
- Fourth Street from Central Avenue to Longfield Avenue
- Fifth Street from Longfield Avenue to Florence Avenue
- Bohannon Avenue from Central Avenue to Queen Avenue
- Homeview Drive from Ninth Street to Taylor Boulevard
- Longfield Avenue from Taylor Blvd. to Fourth Street
- Oakdale Avenue from Fourth Street to Southern Parkway
- Queen Avenue from Taylor Blvd. to Churchill Downs Gate
- Racine Avenue from Ninth Street to Taylor Boulevard
- Southern Parkway from Oakdale Avenue to Southern Heights Avenue
- Taylor Boulevard from Winkler Avenue to Watterson Expressway
- Winkler Avenue from Third Street to Rodman Street
- Winn Avenue from Fourth Street to Southern Parkway
- Wizard Avenue from Longfield Avenue to Queen Avenue
- Warren Avenue from Oleanda Avenue to Homeview Avenue
- Oleanda Avenue from Wizard Avenue to Warren Avenue
- Floyd Street from Warnock Street to Park Blvd.
- Dearcy Avenue from Longfield Avenue to Queen Avenue
- Thornberry Avenue from Taylor Blvd. to Warren Avenue
- Kenton Avenue from Fifth Street to Southern Parkway
- Evelyn Avenue from Fifth Street to Southern Parkway
- Fairmont Avenue from Fifth Street to Southern Parkway
- Whitney Avenue from Fifth Street to Southern Parkway
- Lansing Avenue from Fifth Street to Southern Parkway
- Fifth Street from Longfield Avenue to Fairmont Avenue
- Fourth Street from Longfield Avenue to Winn Avenue
- Helm Street from Boxley Avenue to Central Avenue
- Farmington Avenue from Floyd Street to Crittenden Drive
- Burton Avenue from Ninth Street to Taylor Blvd. (south side only)