LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE)- Wet leaves always cause allergy problems in fall and early winter, but add in recent heavy rains in Kentuckiana and mold allergies are causing a lot of misery.
Dr. James Sublett with Family Allergy and Asthma warns to watch for symptoms of sneezing, itching, nasal discharge, congestion, coughing and wheezing.
Check with your doctor to be sure you're taking the appropriate medications. If any water has flooded your home, remove contaminated materials like carpet and carpet pads immediately. Throw out anything that's wet and can't be cleaned. Dr. Sublett says that mold in homes can cause long-term serious health problems.
Another warning for allergy and asthma sufferers this holiday season. UofL Pediatric Allergy Specialist, Dr. Gerald Lee says that air fresheners, potpourri and scented candle contain chemical and soot irritants that cause flares.
And if attending any holiday parties, discuss food allergies beforehand to avoid accidental ingestions.