Prominent Kentucky democrat killed in house fire - News, Weather & Sports

Prominent Kentucky democrat killed in house fire

GEORGETOWN, KY (WAVE) - A prominent democrat in the Commonwealth died in a house fire in central Kentucky.

Labor Leader Charles Wells was killed in a fire that broke out Tuesday night.

Wells resided at the home with his wife but was alone at the time of the fire. 

Wells was appointed in 2008 as Special Assistant in the Kentucky Personnel Cabinet as a liaison between the state and the labor groups representing its employees.

He had previously been director of the Kentucky Association of State Employees and the American Federation of Teachers.

Governor Beshear said Wells was "a lifelong advocate for working families."

The investigation has determined that the fire originated at the rear of the home, inside a sunroom/living room. 

The fire was caused by an electric space heater placed too close to combustible materials. The preliminary cause of death was determined to have been by smoke inhalation.

Wells was 52-years-old.

Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly