I-65 closed for ten hours after fatal crash near Cave City

The crash scene along northbound I-65 near Cave City.
The crash scene along northbound I-65 near Cave City.
CAVE CITY, KY (WAVE) - A ten-mile stretch of Interstate 65 reopened ten hours after a fatal crash closed the northbound lanes on Sunday.
"Imagine a tractor trailer having another one drive right through its trailer. It literally looked like a war zone," said Kentucky State Police Trooper Jonathan Biven.
The crash obliterated four vehicles and scattered debris everywhere near the 55 mile marker in Cave City around 11:00 a.m. Sunday Louisville time.
Kentucky State Police Spokesperson Jonathan Biven said the driver of a Volvo tractor trailer veered off a southbound lane and went head-first into northbound traffic. 
"It appears that he just lost control of his truck. It was raining heavily at the time of the collision," Biven said. "He crossed the median and actually overrode the cable barriers and struck a 2011 Honda CRV head-on."
It caused a chain reaction crash, as another tractor trailer and a pick up truck slammed into the Volvo semi.
In the blink of an eye, it was over, leaving behind much destruction and devastation.   
"The Honda never actually saw what hit her. It was just a chain of events. It was all one continual motion," Biven said.
The driver of the Honda, Judith Biden, 62, of Lexington died at the scene. 
"I'll pray for the family," a driver said. "Especially on Mother's Day."
Drivers showed compassion while waiting in long detour lines as I-65 north was closed from mile marker 48 to 58. 
Bumper to bumper traffic went from a standstill to a snail's pace and back again for hours while crews worked to get the road opened. 
"One of the tractor trailers had strawberry puree which was actually frozen in dry ice, so we've had to have emergency management and the EPA meet out there to clean up the scene," Biven said.
No charges have been filed. The crash remains under investigation.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.