Family credits 6 year old for saving them from burning home - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Family credits 6 year old for saving them from burning home

Posted: Updated:
Gage Gage
Shane Chaney Shane Chaney
Gage and Dustin Gage and Dustin

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – The family of a young boy is calling him a hero after his bedroom caught fire and he alerted everyone to get out in time. It all happened on North Drive in Valley Station.

Shane Chaney credits his 6-year-old son Gage for escaping the early morning house fire on Tuesday."If it wasn't for Gage, we wouldn't be here right now," said Chaney.

"When I got up, it was coming from outside, so I put my covers back on and then I look over again and I see a fire right beside me," said Gage.

Gage says he knew he had to alert his dad and brother. "I said, Daddy wake up, there's a fire." 

"I was kind of in a deep sleep and I laid back down and I realized, my son he had black soot all over his face and everything," said Chaney. 

11-year-old Dustin Ferguson was asleep downstairs. Chaney says they were able to get him up, but the fire and smoke were spreading.

"I was not going back in that house as long as I got my two boys out, so we just opened the door and yelled for the dogs and they came out," said Chaney. 

Luckily the home is not a total loss, but there it is damaged, and a lot of their stuff was destroyed. "My electric scooter, my cleats, my brand new shoes," said Gage.

The family was treated at Jewish Hospital for smoke inhalation. After they were all released, Gage received a special honor from the hospital, a certificate naming him a super hero for saving his dad and brother. 

No one could argue with that, Ferguson says he could not be more proud. "I tried to teach him well about fires and safety issues and I always tell him to have safety first and everything, so hopefully he can keep doing that and someday he might save more people's lives," said Ferguson.

An electrical surge may be to blame for this fire. The PRP Fire Department says nothing appears suspicious. 

Fortunately, the family is being helped by their insurance. 

Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.