LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – It's small, colorful and spell-binding for children under 5-years-old. It sounds like a toy, but its not.
A new detergent product is getting into the wrong hands and posing a severe threat to the live of little ones.
Proctor and Gamble, the owner of Tide, is just one company selling the small colorful cubes that pack a big punch in cleaning power.
Paul Fox of Proctor and Gamble said, "They are very convenient and very easy to use." But they also pose a huge health hazard for curious children. "Like any household product, they need to be kept away from inquisitive little hands."
These single dose stain fighters are now making their way into more than just your washing machine, they are making it into children's mouths.
Poison Control Centers nationwide are reporting an increase in calls about children under the age of five swallowing the pods.
Toxicologist Kurt Kleinschmidt said symptoms after consuming laundry detergent could cause, "Pretty rapid vomiting, nausea, coughing, and difficult breathing." He said the symptoms are greater with the pods than regular detergent, "27 percent of people exposed to a standard laundry detergent will see symptoms. With these pods, it was like 76%."
Proctor and Gamble share these concerns. Fox recommends parents "Store them on a high shelf, out of reach."
If you think a child has been exposed to a laundry detergent packet call your local poison center immediately.
So far there have been no reports of deaths, but if not treated immediately children are greatly at risk of fatalities.