Grilled Beef Steaks with Ancho Chili
- 2 beef round (sirloin) tip center steaks, cut one-inch
thick -- about 8 oz. each (Two boneless beef top loin/strip steaks, cut
one-inch thick – about 10 oz. each may be substituted.)
- Salt and pepper
Ancho Chili Rub
- 1 tbsp. ground ancho chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks
steaks on grill over medium, ash-covered coals
- For charcoal: grill covered, 11 to
- For gas: grill covered, 13 to 15
Firecracker Burgers with Cooling
- 6 sesame seed sandwich rolls, split
- 1 cup watercress or mixed spring
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. grated lime peel
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients in large
bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into six 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat
on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read
thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F. Turn occasionally.
(Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a
reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.)
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in small bowl; set
- Spread sauce on cut sides of rolls.
- Place one burger on bottom half of each roll; top
evenly with watercress. Close sandwiches.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.