Grilled Beef Steaks with Ancho Chili Rub
- 2 beef round (sirloin) tip center steaks, cut one-inch thick -- about 8 oz. each (Two boneless beef top loin/strip steaks, cut one-inch thick – about 10 oz. each may be substituted.)
- Salt and pepper
Ancho Chili Rub
- 1 tbsp. ground ancho chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1. Combine rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks
- 2. Place steaks on grill over medium, ash-covered coals
- 3. Add salt and pepper
- For charcoal: grill covered, 11 to 13 minutes
- For gas: grill covered, 13 to 15
- Turn once
Firecracker Burgers with Cooling Lime Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 6 sesame seed sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup watercress or mixed spring greens
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. grated lime peel
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into six 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F. Turn occasionally. (Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.)
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- Spread sauce on cut sides of rolls.
- Place one burger on bottom half of each roll; top evenly with watercress. Close sandwiches.