Jambalaya - Colonial Cottage
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 red onions, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 jalapeno chili finely chopped with seeds
1 Tbs Creole Seasoning
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
½ tsp dried oregano, crumbled
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 lb andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage, cut into ½ inch pieces
¾ lb ham, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 14 ½ oz cans chicken broth
1 16 oz can plum tomatoes, diced with liquid
3 cups long grain rice
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion, 4 green onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeno, Creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and oregano.
- Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes)
- Mix in tomato paste. Add sausage, ham, broth, tomatoes, and rice.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender.
- Sir occasionally for about 1 hour.
- Garnish with remaining green onion and serve.