- 1 boneless trimmed bison brisket (approximately 3-4 pounds)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large Bell peppers (Red, Yellow or Orange) 1 inch square
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ Bay leaf
- 1 ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup of water
- 2 beef bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1-2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup Dried Cherries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pat brisket dry and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot (not smoking) then brown meat well on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.
Cook onions and peppers with bay leaf in remaining oil over moderate heat, stir occasionally, until golden, 10 add garlic, cook 2 minutes more.
Remove from heat & transfer 1/2 of onions to a bowl.
Place brisket over onions/peppers in pot, top with remaining onions/peppers. Add wine, water, bouillon cubes, tomato paste, & vinegar (liquid should come about halfway up sides of meat). Bring to a boil. Cover pot and braise in middle of oven until meat is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Add dried Cherries, cool meat in sauce, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Season with salt & pepper. Slice meat across the grain & serve with sauce. Garlic mashed potatoes and your choice of mixed steamed or roasted vegetables rounds out this tasty, nutritious dish.
- Pastry for a single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup ricotta cheese divided
- 1-cup shredded cheese (I am using Tomme/Gouda try a favorite cheese-adjust herbs to the cheese)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1Tablespoons oregano (fresh, ½ dried)
- 5 to 6 fresh firm tomatoes(Plum work well)
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts (Optional)
Roll pastry to fit a 9-in. tart pan or pie plate; place in pan. Do not prick. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Chill 10 min.
Gently Sauté onions and garlic until transparent.
Combine onion mixture with ½ the ricotta cheese and ½ the Tomme /Gouda cheese set aside
Bake the crust at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8 minutes more. Remove from the oven. Reduce heat to 375°.
Spread 1/2 cup cheese mixture over the HOT crust.
Cut each tomato into thick slices (Wedges for Plum) ; remove seeds. Arrange over cheese.
Coarsely chop Basil; sprinkle over tomatoes.
Combine Asiago, pepper and the remaining cheese mixture; spoon over basil. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
Yield: 8 servings.
- Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- Yield: 8 Servings
Variations: Use Blue Cheese, Gruyere Cheese, Habanero Cheese,