- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 1/4 cups coarse chunks of peeled Granny Smith apples or crisp pears
- 1/2 cup craisins, raisins, or chopped dried apricots (or a combination of any of these)
- 3 tablespoons Calvados or Applejack
- Apple Cider Glaze (optional)
In large bowl beat vegetable oil and sugar until thick and opaque. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients: white flour, cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and salt.. Add to oil and egg mixture until well blended.
Toss fruit and pecans in 1 tablespoon flour to lightly coat. Then stir fruit and nuts into batter along with Calvados until pieces are evenly distributed.
Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean, Let cake rest in pan 10 minutes, then unmold and pour glaze over warm cake.
Apple Cider Glaze
4 tbsp sweet butter
4 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp Calvados or Applejack
4 tbsp sweet cider
2 tblsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp heavy cream
Melt butter in small saucepan and stir in both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour over cake while still warm.