Mold problem temporarily closes UofL residence hall - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Mold problem temporarily closes UofL residence hall

Posted: Updated:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A freshman residence hall on the University of Louisville campus is temporarily closing.

Officials said 270 residents of Miller Hall are moving because of elevated levels of mold spores in the building.

Residents will be moved to vacant rooms in other UofL housing complexes or to hotel rooms near campus. Residents from Louisville are being asked to voluntarily move home with their parents or guardians. All students should be moved out by 6 p.m. on October 14. The residence hall is expected to be closed for the remainder of the fall semester.

In a press release, UofL President James Ramsey said. "We recognize the inconvenience and disruption this will cause the students who live in Miller Hall, but our top priority is the health and well-being of our students. We're doing our best to ensure they can continue their studies in a healthy environment."

According to officials, employees found the mold in a few Miller Hall rooms following a student report in September. Inspections took place while students were on fall break on October 5. The inspections found elevated levels of mold spores in many areas of Miller Hall.

Officials said the mold spores have been preliminarily identified as aspergillus and penicillium, which are common in the environment. They are not a health hazard at normal levels, but can cause problems for those with health problems. Since the levels were high in the residence hall, officials decided it would be best to move the students so the building can be completely cleaned.

More information can be found here.

Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.