O'Bryan offered plea deal in Andrew Compton's death - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

O'Bryan offered plea deal in Andrew Compton's death

Posted: Updated:
Gregory O'Bryan (File photo) Gregory O'Bryan (File photo)
Andrew Compton Andrew Compton

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – The man accused of murdering Sullivan University student Andrew Compton while the two had sex has been offered a plea deal, it was revealed in court on Wednesday.

During a pretrial hearing, Jefferson County Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Tom Van De Rostyne shared details of the plea agreement Gregory O'Bryan was offered. The deal calls for a guilty plea to charges of murder, sodomy, tampering with physical evidence and sexual abuse of a corpse and a sentence of 40 years in prison. "Under those terms, he would be eligible for parole in 17 years. That includes his time credit served which is about two years," Van De Rostyne said.

The deal was offered in September, but so far, O'Bryan and his defense team have not responded to it.

O'Bryan is accused of picking up 18-year-old Andrew Compton from Sullivan University in October 2010. The Carmel, IN teen had just started his freshman year at Sullivan.

O'Bryan told police he gave Compton alcohol before they had consensual sex during which Compton died. O'Bryan also said that he had sex with Compton's body after the teen died and that he later put the body in a trash bin at Our Lady of Peace psychiatric Hospital on Newburg Road.

Police tracked the trash bin's contents to a landfill in Medora, IN which was searched for ten days. Compton's body was never found.  

Another pretrial conference is set for December 12, and O'Bryan's trial is schedule for July.

Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:39:06 GMT
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
  • Only On 3

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:55:12 GMT
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
  • Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.

    More >>