The incident happened at Deco Paper on Westport Road.
A fire truck arrived on the scene Saturday morning.
Workers and emergency personnel gathered outside the building.
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Seven people are recovering from an illness apparently caused by toxic fumes they breathed while working inside an industrial building on Saturday.
The incident happened at Marmon Herrington on Westport Road near the Gene Snyder Freeway/Interstate 265 just before 11 a.m.
Seven workers with Howell and Howell Contracting were inside the building.
Worthington Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Nolan Caudill said the sickened workers complained of being light-headed and dizzy. "It appears to be from a painting operation, from forklifts and paint," Caudill said.
Four patients were taken by EMS to Norton Suburban Hospital, two were taken to Norton Brownsboro Hospital and one was taken to Jewish Hospital.
"It should've been ventilated a little better," Caudill said. "It's just an honest mistake."
Caudill said he did not expect any charges to be filed. The company did not return calls seeking comment.