Louisville falls in Elite Eight soccer match

(From the University of Louisville)

Louisville, Ky. - Second seeded Maryland defeated the Cardinals 3-1 Saturday night at Ludwig Field in the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals round. After tying the game in the first period, Maryland scored with 40 second remaining in the first period and in the 67th minute to pull away from the Cardinals.

"Give a lot of credit to Maryland," said head coach Ken Lolla. "They're obviously a very good team. Their record shows that they're having a great year. From our perspective, it's tough to be disappointed because we didn't play well. We probably had our worst game of the year and really didn't show from a standpoint of pressure and keeping the ball in play, Louisville was light tonight. Again, I give credit to Maryland; they're a good team."

Maryland was able to keep possession early and often in the first half. Mike Mauro was tested in the ninth minute but came up with a save. The Cardinals were unable to get a shot off until the final 20 minutes of the half. Cochrane had a shot in the 32nd minute of play.

Maryland's London Woodberry scored on a header to the far post in the 33rd minute to give the Terps a 1-0 lead. Four minute later Dylan Mares got free on a breakaway and crossed the ball to Zach Foxhoven just inside the penalty box. Foxhoven drilled it past the keeper to tie the game at 1-1 in the 39th minute.

The Terps were able to find the back of the net in the final minute of the half when Jake Pace headed the ball in from inside the penalty box for a 2-1 lead. Maryland held a 9-4 shot advantage and a 7-0 corner kick advantage to end the half. Mauro finished with two saves while Maryland's Keith Cardona finished with one.

Maryland took control again early in the first half. Mauro saved a shot by Sunny Jane in the 48th minute that came right to him. Schillo Tshuma had a shot go just wide, barely missing the post seconds later. In the 60th minute, Mauro had another save when he punched out Patrick Mullins' shot.

The Cardinals then gained possession but Ryan Smith's shot was blocked. In the 68th minute Mullins had a shot and Mauro fell on the ball for the save. Mullins was able to pry the ball from Mauro and score to put the Terps up 3-1.

Neither team was able to get another shot off, giving Maryland the win. The Terps finished with a 16-5 shot advantage and a 9-1 corner kick advantage. Mauro finished with five saves while Cardona finished with one.

Maryland advances to the College Cup and will face Georgetown in the semifinal game.