Boone Co. dismemberment suspects' serve in Marines - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

FOX19 Investigates: Dismemberment suspects' troubled service in Marines

Posted: Updated:
Harkness & Allen Harkness & Allen
WASHINGTON (FOX19) -

Military records in the nation's capital, obtained by FOX19's investigative team, show that two of the suspects in the murder and dismemberment case in Northern Kentucky received multiple medals for their service.

But in at least one case, FOX19 has uncovered signs of trouble while one of the Marines was deployed in Afghanistan. 

As authorities announce Wednesday they're suspending the search for more of the victim's body parts and identify the victim for the first time, the military records FOX19 obtained give some insight into the lives of two of the three men who, according to a sheriff's spokesman, wanted to "rid the world of evil" by kidnapping, killing, and dismembering a suspected heroin dealer.

Stephen E. Harkness of Verona, Kentucky, served as a water support technician with the Marines in Afghanistan. Just like it sounds, a water support technician is responsible for making sure fellow Marines get drinking water and are able to take showers. 

According to Harkness's military record, he served only about two months in Afghanistan. But a Marine's tour of duty in Afghanistan usually lasts about seven months, a spokesman for the 2nd Marine Logistics Group at Camp Lejeune tells FOX19.

Harkness was under the command of the Camp Lejeune-based logistics group. 

"I cannot confirm the specific reason why his deployment to Afghanistan appears to be shorter than the normal six to seven month period," said Lt. Jim Stenger, a Marine Corps spokesman at Camp Lejeune. He said Marines' personnel records are protected by the federal Privacy Act.

Another sign of trouble in Harkness's life is the fact that he left Kentucky in March 2011 as a lance corporal, according to a newspaper profile of him at the time.

However, the records obtained by FOX19 show that when he left the Marines a year ago this month he had been demoted one notch to private first class. 

Boone County sheriff's spokesman Tom Scheben said Tuesday that at least one of the suspects in this case was dishonorably discharged from the Marines.  

"One of them, for example, is an ex-Marine," Scheben said. "And I say ex-Marine because he was dishonorably discharged, to the best of my knowledge. And two of his buddies, I guess, fall into that same mindset, perhaps. Not the Marine mindset; the dishonorably discharged Marine mindset." 

Scheben told FOX19 this afternoon he had no further information to provide. The Marines won't comment about Harkness's discharge.

Harkness's record indicates he received the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and NATO Medal for service in Afghanistan. Just as their titles indicate, these medals honor service only. In and of themselves, they are not necessarily indications of particular ability, honor, or courage under fire. 

Jefferey W. Allen of Verona, Kentucky, also served in the Marines. He was assigned to the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion at 29 Palms, California.

This battalion is known as the "Wolf Pack."

They're the Marines who quickly deployed to the Middle East after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in the summer of 1990. 

Allen never served overseas, according to the military records obtained by FOX19.

A press release from November 2010 shows the 3rd LAR was headed to Afghanistan about four months before Allen joined the Marines.

The battalion was scheduled to return in May 2011. Allen joined the Marines on March 7, 2011, possibly missing his chance to serve in Afghanistan.

FOX19 has contacted a 29 Palms spokesman to see if Allen's battalion deployed during any other periods during Allen's time in the Marines.  

Allen sure didn't serve long, though. He left the Marines on October 29, 2012, just 20 months after joining. The Marines won't say what type of discharge Allen received.

Harkness, Allen, and 23-year-old Anthony Baumgartner of Florence now face charges of murder, kidnapping, abuse of a corpse, and tampering with physical evidence. 

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:39:06 GMT
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
  • Only On 3

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:55:12 GMT
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
  • Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.

    More >>