Lieberman to advise Sandy Hook School Support Fund - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Lieberman to advise Sandy Hook School Support Fund

Posted: Updated:
NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -

Former U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman will serve as an adviser to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund's transition team.

The transition team is responsible for creating the charitable structure in which the donations from the Sandy Hook School Support Fund will be transferred.

"First, I would like to extend my sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones in this terrible tragedy," said Lieberman during a press conference Friday. "Hadassah and I were shocked and heartbroken when we first heard and we still are."

Lieberman met with members of the transition team Friday. He said he will not serve as a member of the transition team, but will play an important advisory role and will assist the team in updating the community on its work. He also said he is not being paid for serving.

"We are honored that Sen. Lieberman accepted our request to serve as an adviser to the transition team," said Will Rodgers, chairman of the transition team. "He knows the community well and we hope that his contributions will reassure the community and the nation that the funds will be used thoughtfully."

According to officials with the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, there has been $8.5 million raised so far and the amount is expected to grow.

Corporations and other large organizations are expected to donate to the fund in the near future.

So far, $200,000 has been set up separately for first responders, teachers and others who lost wages.

Some of the money will be used to purchase two-way radios for the teachers in school.

"They wanted that to feel secure and communicate with first responders so we committed to help fund that," said Kim Morgan of United Way of Western Connecticut and member of the transition team.

In the end, Lieberman said he feels a sense of gratuity being part of the team.

"It gives me a chance to say thank you to the people of Connecticut," he said.

The fund was established by United Way of Western Connecticut and Newtown Savings Bank.

To donate to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, click the following link.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:39:06 GMT
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
  • Only On 3

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:55:12 GMT
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
  • Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.

    More >>