Crews believe a gas fireplace to be the cause of an early morning house fire.
The fire broke out around 2:30 a.m. in the 700 block of Philadelphia Street.
According to officials, a man and his daughter were woken up by the smell of burning wood inside of the home.
Upon arrival, crews found the home completely engulfed in flames.
Damages are estimated at $50,000. Both the man and his daughter were able to escape the home safely.
In addition to the gas fireplace, Battalion Chief John Martin says the cold weather is a huge factor. Martin also urges homeowners and renters to have their fireplaces inspected annually and to keep space heaters at least three feet from furniture or blankets.
This is the fifth fire in the Tri-state since Monday.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>