DeWine: More charges possible after Steubenville rape trial
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio's attorney general says he will announce after the upcoming rape trial of two high school football players whether charges will be brought against others.
Mike DeWine says he is not ruling additional charges in or out in the case, which centers on the rape of a 16-year-old girl in eastern Ohio. At least three other students witnessed the encounter and still others apparently knew about it.
Hacker-activist groups and women's advocacy organizations have questioned why people who knew about the rape were not charged under an Ohio law requiring people to report crimes of which they are aware.
DeWine on Monday said his office's investigation is now looking at what happened after the alleged assault.
DeWine's office told lawyers for three witnesses last fall that their clients would not be charged.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
DeWine: More charges possible after Steubenville rape trialMore>>
Mugshots of wanted criminals listed as "Fugitive of the Week." Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of a fugitive is encouraged to contact their local authorities. More >>
Mugshots of wanted criminals listed as "Fugitive of the Week." Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of a fugitive is encouraged to contact the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force at 1-866-4WANTED or local police department. More >>
There are still a few tickets left for Thursday's Muslim prayer service to honor Muhammad Ali. But there are none left for the interfaith memorial on Friday. Muslims have traveled from all over the world to pay...More >>
Police in western Kentucky have shot and killed a man who investigators say was armed with a knife and a long pole that he had been using to smash car windows. Kentucky State Police spokesman Lt. Kyle Nall said during a...More >>