Victim identified in fatal Houston County house fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Update

Victim identified in fatal Houston County house fire

Posted: Updated: March 5, 2013 05:09 PM
ERIN, TN (WSMV) -

A man who died earlier this month in a Houston County house fire that also injured a woman is being remembered for his sense of adventure.

Christopher Cole, 24, died March 5 in a fire that broke out at about 4 a.m. on West Front Street, according to Erin Fire Chief Danny Warren.

A family of four who lived on the ground level of the home escaped without injury after two of the children alerted their parents to the fire, but Cole was unable to get out of the upper level.

A woman who lived with Cole, Rose Black, remains in critical condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center with third-degree burns.

Cole's mother, Nikki Cole, said she has not gone to see the burnt shell of a home, instead she's only watched video of the fatal fire on the internet.

"He was my first child. At 24, I didn't really think his life would be cut short," Nikki Cole said.

The grieving mother says it's been difficult to get through each day since. Tears, she says, are a pretty common thing.

But, she still has questions. Fire officials point to a surge protector that caused the fire, and she's waiting on the autopsy results.

Now, as each day goes without her son, Nikki Cole remembers him for his warm heart and sense of adventure.

"I always told him, 'Live the life the way you want. Don't let anybody judge you for what you chose to do,' and he lived his life to the fullest," she said.

A memorial fund has been established in Christopher Cole's name to help with burial costs. Donations are accepted at any F&M Bank.

Three firefighters were taken to the Patients' Choice Medical Center in Erin as a result of the fire but were later released.

Two firefighters had smoke inhalation and one suffered minor burns.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • UpdateVictim identified in fatal Houston County house fireMore>>