Information contained on this page is provided by companies via press release distributed through PR Newswire, an independent third-party content provider. PR Newswire, WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
Bitrex® Supports the American Association of Poison Control Centers and Its Efforts to Educate Consumers on How to Prevent Accidental Ingestions for National Poison Prevention Week March 17-23
PORTLAND, Ore., March 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Spring is a time for cleaning the house, planting a garden and perhaps even tuning up the car for a Spring Break road trip. But experts say the season is also a particularly dangerous time for child and pet poisonings, since caregivers are more likely to be actively using toxic substances that may be locked away in winter.
According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, more than 2 million poisonings are reported each year to the nation's poison centers. Approximately 90 percent of poisonings happen at home, 51 percent of them involve children under the age of 6, and many of the culprits are the household cleaners and pesticides parents begin using more frequently in their homes and yards once it gets warm enough to spend more time outside.
According to emergency physician Daniel D'Amore of Baptist Health, "Many poisonings from cleaning, automotive and garden products happen this time of year. Parents get so distracted cleaning up their homes and yards that they inadvertently allow potentially deadly substances to get within reach of small children. Worse yet, many of these products are designed to look and smell attractive, making them intriguing to already curious toddlers."
Parents and caregivers should take extra care during spring cleaning by making sure potentially hazardous products are kept out of reach of their children, even when in use; replacing child-resistant caps; keeping products in their original containers; and for added piece of mind, looking for products that contain bittering agents like Bitrex®, which will make it almost impossible for children to ingest them accidentally in the event other precautions fail.
Bitrex® is proud to sponsor the AAPCC and its efforts during National Poison Prevention Week (NPPW) March 17 to 23 to help educate families on the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them, particularly this time of year. Bitrex® taste kits will be available at some of the NPPW events planned across the United States to enable consumers to experience for themselves the effect of Bitrex® as a taste aversive.
"Bittering agents are no substitute for careful, secure storage and parental vigilance, but they do help prevent a moment's inattention from ending in a tragedy," said Cameron Smith, Bitrex business manager.
To learn more about ways to help prevent poisonings, visit the www.aapcc.org or call your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 and ask for a poison educator. In case of a poison emergency, call the Poison Help line at 800-222-1222 for fast, free, treatment help.
Bitrex® is the bitterest substance known to man. Discovered in 1958 and first used in denaturing industrial alcohol to make it unfit for consumption, it is now added to a wide range of household cleaners, pesticides, do-it-yourself and automotive products around the world to prevent children and pets from ingesting them accidentally. Bitrex® is on the US Environmental Protection Agency Design for the Environment's DfE Safer Chemicals Ingredients List. For more information on Bitrex®, please visit www.bitrex.com. For commercial inquiries contact exclusive US Bitrex® distributor Market Actives, LLC at www.MarketActives.com or 800/786-1609.
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.