Churchill Downs officials revisited certain security measures.
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – The tragedy in Boston has caused Churchill Downs officials to revisit certain security measures. Coolers, tents, some purses and certain cameras are now banned.
Derby 139 falls not long after the back to back bombings during the Boston Marathon.
"It's hard because it is on your mind and you do think about it, but we just hope that the people that are in charge of the events will beef up security and do some additional checks to make sure everybody stays safe," said Toni Newton, who plans on attending Oaks.
The Boston explosions did prompt some new changes at Churchill Downs. John Asher with the track says to pull off the iconic races each year, officials meet with more than 40 local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
"Certainly after the tragedy in Boston on Monday afternoon, we huddled with those folks again and did a further review of our procedure for this year and decided to make some additions," said Asher.
Some of those changes include, no coolers, cans and tents.
"Small cameras are allowed," said Asher. "They can not be a camera that is large enough to have a detachable lens, but you can have a small camera with a detached lens that's equipped with a lens up to six inches."
Leave the tripods at home. Purses larger than 12 inches in any dimension are not allowed.
"I'll be in trouble there, so I'll definitely have to find something to scale down a little bit," said Newton.
You can bring a diaper bag with your child and all belongings are subject to search both by hand and electronically.
"I think they are right on and I think if there is any opportunity to do more things, I think most people would be supportive of that," said Newton.
Not permitted for Derby and Oaks Carry-in:
• COOLERS (Styrofoam coolers, ice available at infield purchase points)
• CANS (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
• POP UP OR PATRON TENTS – no poles or stakes of any kind
• Cameras with detachable lenses, or equipped with a lens that is 6" or longer
• Purses larger than 12' in any dimension
• Alcoholic beverages
• Luggage (includes briefcases)
• Duffel bags
• Weapons (including knives)
• Fireworks, noisemakers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, mace or pepper sprays
Permitted for Derby and Oaks carry-in:
• Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags)*
• "Box" lunches in clear plastic bags or containers (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags)
• Purses, but none larger than 12" in any dimension (subject to search)
• Baby/diaper bags – only if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
• Small cameras – none equipped with detachable lenses or lenses of 6" or more **
• Sunscreen (non-glass containers only)
• Small personal music systems, radios and televisions** (No boom boxes)
• Cellular phones, smartphones and tablets**
• Seat cushions (without back)
• Strollers (ONLY if carrying a child)
• Chairs (Gate 3 ONLY)
• Blankets & tarpaulins (Gates 1 & 3 ONLY)
* Limit of two bags per person
** Patrons could be required to turn on electronic items
Patrons are reminded: "If you see something, say something."
For more information, call 502-636-4400 or click, here.