Congregation donates money to church that caught fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Congregation donates money to church that caught fire

Posted: Updated:
Air 3 flew over the fire at New Beginnings Christian Church on Saturday. Air 3 flew over the fire at New Beginnings Christian Church on Saturday.
Rubble was piled in front of the church on Sunday. Rubble was piled in front of the church on Sunday.
This was the view from the back of the church on Sunday. This was the view from the back of the church on Sunday.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - New Beginnings Christian Church on Dixie Highway ignited Saturday night, but members had no idea they would be out in the parking lot on Sunday rejoicing for what they say are divine blessings.

Pastor Barry Washington with Redeemed Christian Church on Riverpark Drive saw WAVE 3's story about the fire on Saturday and wanted to help in the form of a $300 check.

"I was watching the news, and the Lord put it on my heart to give them an offering to kind of help out because it's hard for small churches," Washington said. "I don't know even know them. I don't know the pastor. I haven't met anyone there. I'm just asking you all to give this check to them and hope it can help them on rebuilding."

The outside of New Beginnings was covered on all sides with paneling, soot and furniture scorched from the blaze.

Church members pulled up, walked over and comforted each other. They couldn't hold their service inside the church, so they brought it outside.

Pastor Kevin Manzano said the damage is significant. "It's pretty bad. The water damage is just as bad as the fire damage, so I know that the ceiling is down," Manzano said. "In midst of what happened yesterday, they're celebrating. And we know there's restoration, but we know God has a plan."

But he had no idea about the $300 check from Redeemed Christian Church to help them start over. Pastor Manzano's eyes filled with tears when he found out, but he grinned from ear to ear as he said, "God's already moving." Church members outside the church cried, as well.

The fire happened Saturday night around 7:00 from what the congregation believes was a pot left on the stove that exploded. Monzano said church members had been cooking when the power went out. When it came back on, the stove came back on. A pot of food was on one of the burners and exploded.

Pastor Washington from Redeemed Christian Church said it gave him great joy to help someone as best he could. "Truly, people have helped us, so we just want to pass it on," he said.

Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.