Accused serial killer asks for delay in trial - News, Weather & Sports

Accused serial killer asks for delay in trial

William Clyde Gibson (Source: Floyd County Prosecutor's Office) William Clyde Gibson (Source: Floyd County Prosecutor's Office)
Mike Whitis Mike Whitis
Christine Whitis (Source; Family Photo) Christine Whitis (Source; Family Photo)
Gibson in handciuffs shortly fter his arrest. Gibson in handciuffs shortly fter his arrest.

NEW ALBANY, IN (WAVE) - Accused serial killer William Clyde Gibson is asking a judge to delay the first of his three murder trials.

Gibson is facing the death penalty for killing Christine Whitis, 75, a little more than a year ago. He was set to go before a jury in just two months, but Wednesday his attorneys told the judge they need more time for their experts to prepare. Mike Whitis, Christine Whitis' son, was not happy to hear that request.

"We're ready for this to move forward," Whitis said after the hearing Wednesday.

Gibson was a friend of Whitis' family when he was picked up by in the WalMart parking lot on Grant Line Road in April 2012. Police said Gibson killed Christine Whitis and dismembered her body.

Mike Whitis was prepared to hear the details of his mother's death in July when the trial is set to begin. The request from the defense Wednesday to change that date has him concerned.

"I feel like it would be a miscarriage of justice if the justice system allowed that to happen," said Whitis.

Prosecutor Keith Henderson said Gibson's attorneys had plenty of time, more than a year, to prepare and he said he will argue to the judge the trial date should not move.

Pushing back Whitis' case could also mean a delay for the families of Stephanie Kirk, 35, who was found buried in Gibson's back yard and Karen Hodella, 44, who was found dead in the Ohio River in 2002. Police said Gibson confessed to killing her as well.

"There are other families still waiting that cannot even begin to get started until we're complete, so if we continue to hold up over every technicality or whatever expert needs more time for this, this could go on indefinitely," said Mike Whitis.

Despite that concern, Mike Whitis said whatever the judge decides; he will wait through every hearing. "I can last as long as he can so if he can continue to come up with stall tactics I'll continue to come down here and stare at him."

Because this is such a high profile case, the jury is coming from Dearborn County. That plays another role in this request for a delay. They've already started putting together a jury pool and the judge has to make sure those jurors will be available for she decides if the date can be moved. She's expected to make her decision Tuesday.

Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly