Gas main explodes in east Toledo, 1 hurt - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Gas main explodes in east Toledo, at least 1 hurt

  • Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

  • Areas of Toledo under boil advisory

    Areas of Toledo under boil advisory

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-05-23 22:08:22 GMT
    (Source: RNN)(Source: RNN)

    The city of Toledo has issued a series of boiling advisories effective Wednesday, May 23, due to repairs to the city’s water distribution system. 

    More >>

    The city of Toledo has issued a series of boiling advisories effective Wednesday, May 23, due to repairs to the city’s water distribution system. 

    More >>
  • 2 children removed from home filled with feces, insects, squirrel, trash, 'unbearable' odor

    2 children removed from home filled with feces, insects, squirrel, trash, 'unbearable' odor

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 7:07 PM EDT2018-05-22 23:07:36 GMT
    Left: Jenny Lynn Paradis, Right: Joshua Palmer Vaught (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)Left: Jenny Lynn Paradis, Right: Joshua Palmer Vaught (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

    An Horry County mother and her boyfriend were arrested, and their children were placed in protective custody after officers found their home filled with piles of trash, animal waste, various insects, animals in poor condition, and an “unbearable” odor, according to a police report. The children, who were reportedly covered in bites and sores and appeared to be dirty, were taken into emergency protective custody, the report states.

    More >>

    An Horry County mother and her boyfriend were arrested, and their children were placed in protective custody after officers found their home filled with piles of trash, animal waste, various insects, animals in poor condition, and an “unbearable” odor, according to a police report. The children, who were reportedly covered in bites and sores and appeared to be dirty, were taken into emergency protective custody, the report states.

    More >>
  • Neighbors raise their voices on 'problem bar'

    Neighbors raise their voices on 'problem bar'

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:56 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:56:24 GMT

    Parents and community members are concerned not just about the illegal activity the bar is bringing into the neighborhood, but also for children's safety.

    More >>

    Parents and community members are concerned not just about the illegal activity the bar is bringing into the neighborhood, but also for children's safety.

    More >>
TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Toledo fire crews say a flash fire was caused by a natural gas leak in east Toledo Friday, where an explosion injured one person.

Columbia Gas spokesman Chris Kozak says a Columbia Gas crew was repairing a 4-inch line Friday morning in front of a home in the 800 block of Utah Street. The low pressure gas main was leaking and the crew was attempting to put a collar on the line to stop the leak. The gas leaking from the main ignited, burning one of the workers. 

"It's something our crew does everyday. So they're always putting their lives at risk - to a certain extent - everyday when they're working with natural gas. And they are experts at what they do, and they do it well. That's why this is a rare occurrence," said Kozak.

Kozak says the worker suffered first and second-degree burns to his face. He was taken by paramedics to a Toledo hospital with a burn unit. He is expected to recover, partially because of the safety procedures in place for Columbia Gas.

"This is an abnormality. Thankfully, the safety steps and procedures were being followed, which allowed us to get the fire put out, get the employee out of the hole, and keep this from being a truly serious incident," said Kozak.

Four houses were ordered to be evacuated shortly after the incident. 

The leak has been stopped and all residents are back in their homes. At no time was gas service interrupted in the neighborhood, according to Kozak. After the worker was taken away, crews began cleaning up and repairing the line that needed to be fixed in the first place.

Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly