Scottsdale PD adds molestation charges in girl's abduction - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Scottsdale PD adds molestation charges in girl's abduction

Posted: Updated:
Mario Salgado is facing possible child molestation charges in connection with the abduction of a 5-yeaer-old girl in Scottsdale on Sunday night. Mario Salgado is facing possible child molestation charges in connection with the abduction of a 5-yeaer-old girl in Scottsdale on Sunday night.
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

A man accused of kidnapping a 5-year-old girl from a Scottsdale apartment complex Sunday night could also face molestation charges, according to the Scottsdale Police Department's website.

Police said detectives had developed probable cause to believe the child was molested by 42-year-old Mario Rivera Salgado after she was abducted, and that additional charges had been submitted to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for consideration.

Salgado is accused of luring the child into his car and driving her to a friend's house in Phoenix Sunday night, where he told the friend the girl was a relative of his, according to the website report.

He left her at the friend's house when she fell asleep, and as he was returning to the apartment complex at 7110 E. Continental in Scottsdale when he was arrested just before 1 a.m., according to the report.

Police found the girl at the Phoenix house and returned her to her mother, the report showed.

Police said the girl and her mother were visiting a friend at the apartments and the girl went outside to play with other children. Shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday,  her mother went to look for her, and contacted police when she couldn't find her, according to the report.

Police said a witness told them the girl got into a car with a man known as Mario. Police said Salgado lives at the complex, but contrary to earlier police reports, was not a friend of the girl or her mother, though they had previously seen him at the complex.

Scottsdale detectives booked Salgado into jail on suspicion of one count of kidnapping, but two additional charges of suspicion of child molestation were added after evidence led police to believe that sex crimes took place while the child was with Salgado, according to the report.

Salgado remains in custody, the website reported.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:39:06 GMT
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
  • Only On 3

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:55:12 GMT
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
  • Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.

    More >>