6 buildings destroyed by massive Carpenter 1 wildfire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

6 buildings destroyed by massive Carpenter 1 wildfire

Posted: Updated:
A helicopter swoops in over the Carpenter 1 wildfire on July 9, 2013, to dump water on the blaze. (FOX5) A helicopter swoops in over the Carpenter 1 wildfire on July 9, 2013, to dump water on the blaze. (FOX5)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org)
Smoke rises from the charred ground near Mt. Charleston on July 8, 2013. (FOX5) Smoke rises from the charred ground near Mt. Charleston on July 8, 2013. (FOX5)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -

Six buildings have been destroyed by a wildfire that has been burning near Mt. Charleston for more than a week, officials said Wednesday.

A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.

On Wednesday evening, the U.S. Forest Service said more than 1,000 firefighters were battling the 25,524-acre blaze. The roughly 40-square-mile fire was 15 percent contained.

Two firefighters have been injured, one suffering a twisted ankle and the other injuring his knee. Both are expected to be OK and return to the mountain in the coming days.

Fire managers on Wednesday evening reported progress in Kyle Canyon, where fire continues to back slowly down the ridge.

However, fire activity did increase Wednesday in the southeast section of the fire in the Red Rock Conservation Area, expanding southeast onto Bureau of Land Management property.

Officials said Tuesday that the fire jumped State Route 157, prompting them to close the road at mile marker 6.

Also on Tuesday, the wildfire destroyed its first structure - a commercial out-building in the Prospect Ranch area, according to the spokeswoman. James Stone, also a spokesman for the Forest Service, said five more buildings in the same area were destroyed by Wednesday morning.

Helicopters dropped 162,000 gallons of water on the fire on Tuesday, according to inciweb.org, a website used to provide information about the blaze. Air tankers carrying fire retardant are also being used to battle the blaze.

Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee and Trout canyons. Residents were being allowed inside the evacuation zone with an escort.

There are two shelters set up to assist evacuees - one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas. The Southern Nevada chapter of the American Red Cross said they need donations to help fund their relief efforts.

So far, $9.48 million has been spent in an effort to contain the blaze.

Sen. Dean Heller, R-NV, said Gov. Brian Sandoval's request for aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency has been approved, but it was not immediately clear when state agencies could expect to receive federal help.

Officials have closed the Spring Mountain Recreation Area. Several roads are also closed, including Lovell Canyon, Trout Canyon, Lovell Summit, Carpenter Canyon and Wallace Canyon roads at Highway 160. The Bristlecone, South Loop, North Loop and Griffith Park trails have also been closed.

Officials said Monday they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.

A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Lawsuit: Princeton BMC doctors amputated man's genitals without prior warning

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:39:06 GMT
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
    A Jefferson County man is suing his doctors and a local hospital, alleging that he went in for a circumcision but when he woke up, doctors had amputated his genitals.More >>
  • Only On 3

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    4-year-old boy banned from local doughnut shop

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:55:12 GMT
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
    Kids say the darndest things, but one local inquisitive 4-year-old boy asked a question that got him banned from a Monroe doughnut shop.More >>
  • Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Are Louisville food trucks making the grade?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
    WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.

    More >>