Cleveland kidnapping suspect, Ariel Castro indicted on 977 counts, including agg. murder
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -
A Cuyahoga County Grand Jury has issued a 977-count indictment against suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro.
The indictment covers the entire time period from August 2002, when the first of the three women disappeared, until May of this year. The original indictment covered only the first four and a half years of the women's captivity.
On Thursday, a County Prosecutor Committee met to discuss whether Ariel Castro should get the death penalty. That still remains an option.
Castro had already been indicted on more than 300 charges. He's accused of holding three women hostage for years spanning more than a decade.
The charges include aggravated murder stemming from the death of an unborn child of one of the hostage's.
That victim says Castro forced her to lose multiple babies after she got pregnant.
19 Action News contacted Bruce Hennes with Hennes-Paynter, who represents Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, he said: "We are not making any statements concerning today's events."
Castro's attorneys released the statement below on the indictment:
The first indictment only contained charges through early 2007 so we expected additional charges from a grand jury. We are pleased that we were able to convince the prosecutor's office to not seek and obtain the death penalty in this new indictment. It is our hope that we can continue to work toward a resolution of this matter so that the women do not have to endure any additional trauma.
Craig Weintraub Jaye Schlachet
19 Action News reporter Ed Gallek tracked down Cuyahoga Co. Prosecutor Tim McGinty to ask if he'll seek the death penalty.
McGinty said his office will be meeting again in the next week. But he said he can't talk about specifics. Instead, he deflected questions by talking about other unrelated topics such as the Indians and whether he needs to lose ten pounds.
Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:02:03 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >>
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >>
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>