A space heater is to blame for a house fire in Florence - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Dog saved from Florence house fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo compliments of the Florence Fire Department Photo compliments of the Florence Fire Department
Photo compliments of the Florence Fire Department Photo compliments of the Florence Fire Department
FLORENCE, KY (FOX19) -

Fire crews say they were able to rescue a dog from a blaze started by a space heater in a Florence home.

Florence firefighters were called to a home in the 200 block of Deer Trace Drive around 3:15 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon. Upon arrival, crews found a working fire in a one story home.

Crews made entry and were able to quickly extinguish the fire. One dog was rescued by fire crews.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a space heater.

The Florence Fire Department reminds everyone to use supplementary heating devices properly and safely. Fire crews give these tips for space heater safety:

-        Keep all space heaters at least three feet away from household combustibles.

-        Do not use extension cords with space heaters unless absolutely necessary.

-        Do not use space heaters in wet or damp areas unless is designated for outdoor use or bathrooms. 

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.