Hampshire College dorm evacuated due to fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Hampshire College dorm evacuated due to fire

First responders were called to the campus of Hampshire College around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, as a dorm on campus had caught on fire.

The Amherst Fire Department told CBS 3 that it appears a fire started on the front porch of the building and worked its way up to a second floor apartment.

Late Sunday evening, the college announced that the fire was accidental due to some smoldering materials left on the wooden deck, which ignited some boxes and other items.

They added that the sprinkler system in the second floor room activated, containing the fire and prevented it from spreading further. 

College officials said that 30-45 students live in the building and they will have to be relocated while the damage is assessed.

They said some students have made arrangements to live with friends, while others will be provided housing by the school.

One police officer was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, but he is expected to be okay. The fire department said the officer was the first person on scene and went through the dorm to alert the students to evacuate.

No students were injured or taken to the hospital.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly