I-Team investigation into state facility prompts TBI probe - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

I-Team investigation into state facility prompts TBI probe


A correctional officer has been fired and a TBI sting was carried out as a result of months of recorded calls and the gathering of documents by the Channel 4 I-Team.

Following a series of Channel 4 I-Team investigations that revealed how Tennessee inmates were documenting their wild behavior in prison, a prisoner inside Riverbend contacted chief investigative reporter Jeremy Finley with an proposition: did we want to see how inmates were smuggling cell phones into the maximum security prison?

Inmate David Faulkner and his fiancé, Sandy Jordan, first tried to share their information with the state department of correction hoping if he shared what he knew, he could get moved out of Riverbend and into another prison.

"They (correction officials) basically kind of laughed at me. They didn't feel like there was credence to this," Jordan said.

Faulkner began sharing information with the Channel 4 I-Team, including showing how easily he has cell phone access. Faulkner sent photographs of his cell and of himself holding his phone.

Faulkner and Finley had dozens of phone calls to document his ability to get phones and how often he was having conversations with someone outside his prison cell about obtaining phones.

Faulkner then sent the Channel 4 I-Team a note that he said was slipped into his cell from a correctional officer that gave specific instructions of how to get a new phone at a cost of $400 and how to wrap it in plastic.

The note was signed "Simmons," and Faulkner said that was the last name of a correctional officer.

"Over the last 18 months, I've probably bought 20 phones from him, probably 1,000 packs of cigarettes, probably at least a pound of weed," Faulkner said.

Hoping to provide further proof that a correctional officer was selling his phones, Faulkner's fiancé then started to receive texts from someone offering to bring a phone into the prison.

"A guard was texting me during his shift," Jordan said.

Jordan shared the texts with the Channel 4 I-Team, and when she suggested they meet at her hotel near the prison, the text reply read: "Too close to work. That's way too risky."

In the attempt to further prove what Faulkner was telling, Jordan then recorded a conversation with the person they believed to be a correctional officer.

"I have a lot to lose to do something like this," Jordan is heard saying.

"You take a risk just like I do," responds a male voice.

"'I'll be honest with you - it scares me," Jordan said.

"We both have a lot to lose," the male voice said.

"It can be anything I want? Phone, weed, anything that he needs, right?" Jordan asks.

"Right," said the man. "I don't mind helping (Faulkner), but, because of what it is, it has to cost him because of the risk that I take."

Jordan then got a text from the man she was speaking to asking for a picture of herself. Jordan responded and the man sent a picture of himself.

The TBI confirmed that picture is of Riverbend correctional officer Kevin Simmons.

When the Channel 4 I-Team took all our recorded conversations, the texts and note to the Department of Correction, they contacted the district attorney, who in turn called in the TBI.

Jordan said the TBI then asked her to help in a sting.

"I wanted to make sure they had this kind of leverage and they needed to act," Jordan said.

The TBI confirmed that they took Jordan to a hotel in Mt. Juliet, where she arranged for Simmons to meet her.

Inside the hotel, the TBI confirms they gave Jordan $3,000, a cell phone and tobacco to give to Simmons.

Jordan said as soon as the transaction was made TBI agents moved in.

"They came into the room as so as they had the money, placed a gun right to his head, which was quite shocking to me," Jordan said.

Afterwards, Simmons was suspended by the Department of Correction and the TBI's case was turned over to the district attorney in the 15th Judicial District.

After Channel 4 I-Team repeatedly attempted to reach Kevin Simmons at his last known phone number and address, he at last called and denied writing the note, and that he did not intend to deliver the phone to David Faulkner.

Simmons said he may have more to say at a later time.

Jordan said the TBI has their work cut out for them.

"I believe they (the TBI) want to get the network within the prison because there are more people involved," Jordan said.

We repeatedly asked for an interview with the Department of Correction to inquire about the cell phone smuggling, but spokeswoman Dorinda Carter instead sent a statement, reading in part, "Although we will not discuss the specifics of this particular investigation at this time, we feel our investigative staff took a progressive stance while collaborating with other law enforcement agencies specifically, the TBI. We are concerned about any corruption and we realize from time to time a few employees will make poor decisions that lead to policy violations."

As a result of his cooperation with the investigation, David Faulkner was transferred to another prison.

Our investigation into allegations of corruption behind bars continues Tuesday night at 6:00 where you will see exclusive video of correctional officers removing David Faulkner from a cell.

Faulkner is now suing the state saying the guards abused him and left him hog-tied in a prison without responding to his injuries.

A prison watchdog watched the video and said of the hog tying, "That is a gross departure from professional correctional practices."

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • I-Team investigation into state facility prompts TBI probeMore>>

  • TIMELINE: A look at the I-Team's investigation

    TIMELINE: A look at the I-Team's investigation

    The Channel 4 I-Team worked for months to collect documents and recorded conversations to expose how cell phones were being smuggled into Riverbend Maximum Security Prison. Here's a timeline of our investigation.More >>
    The Channel 4 I-Team worked for months to collect documents and recorded conversations to expose how cell phones were being smuggled into Riverbend Maximum Security Prison. Here's a timeline of our investigation.More >>
Powered by Frankly