LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Here are 10 things Kentuckiana will be talking about today:
1. Winter Weather, Round 1 - Ice is falling from the skies across much of WAVE Country, and soon it will turn to snow. Snow totals will vary. A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for most of our viewing area. Dozens of schools and businesses are closed on Friday, including JCPS and Jefferson County Catholic Schools; others are operating on a delayed schedule. Click here for the complete list of school closings and head to the Weather page on wave3.com to stay informed throughout the day.
2. Winter Weather, Round 2 - This isn't a "one and done" weather event. Bitter cold temperatures will give way to a second round of winter precipitation over the weekend. This time, snow will turn to ice on Sunday. Kevin Harned and the WAVE 3 News Storm Tracking Team say it could be as bad or worse as what we'll get today. Keep up by reading the Weather Blog and stay tuned as this second system develops.
3. Angel Tree - The deadline to adopt an Angel through the Salvation Army Angel Tree program is Sunday, December 8, so be sure to do so TODAY if you plan to brave the weather conditions to get some Christmas shopping done. Angels can be adopted at Oxmoor Center, Mall St. Matthews and Jefferson Mall in Louisville and Green Tree Mall in Clarksville, Indiana.
5. Kentucky Farm Bureau - More than 1,500 KFB members from across the state have gathered in Louisville for the organization's 94th annual meeting which continues today through Saturday at
the Galt House Hotel.
6. Deep in the Heart - The University of Kentucky men's and women's basketball teams face off against Baylor at AT&T Stadium in Dallas tonight.
7. KHSAA - The Kentucky High School Athletic Association Championship Weekend gets underway tonight in Bowling Green (weather permitting).
8. Unity Dinner - The Kentucky Alliance Against Racist and
Political Repression will host its 16th annual Unity Dinner tonight at
Hotel Louisville at 7th and Broadway.
9. Light Up La Grange - It's scheduled for 5:30 tonight. The website discoverlagrange.org is encouraging people to "dress warm, make wise choices, be safe and join us if you like. We're embracing the weather - so bring on the BRRRRR!"
10. World War II Barracks - The Patton Museum in Fort Knox will unveil restored World War II barracks this afternoon. The barracks, formerly known as building 7050, was one of about 1,000 63-man barracks on Fort Knox built between 1941 and 1945. The last of its kind, it was moved to the Patton Museum in May 2011.
Click here to subscribe to breaking news and weather alerts, including school closing alerts for your particular district, and watch WAVE 3 News Sunrise for all the morning's top stories weekdays beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:24 GMT
WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.More >>
WAVE 3 News Troubleshooter Eric Flack's investigation into food trucks last summer was one of his most talked about stories in years. His undercover video and health department interviews stirred a fiery response. Now, a new report about food truck safety has been released by the Institute for Justice, and it's good news for the industry and food truck operators.