Prosecutor: Teen arrested for school shooting threat had weapon - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Prosecutor: Teen arrested for school shooting threat had weapon

Posted: Updated:
Nicholas Bain (Source: Bullitt County Detention Center) Nicholas Bain (Source: Bullitt County Detention Center)

MT WASHINGTON, KY (WAVE) – An 18-year-old was formally charged Monday after he allegedly threatened to kill his neighbor, an Old Mill Elementary School student, and other children at the school.

Nicholas Bain was formally charged with terroristic threatening in a Bullitt County courtroom.

Mt. Washington police arrested Bain after the threat was reported on Saturday night.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Bullitt Co. superintendent issues letter to community after school shooting threat]

Bain's attorney argued Bain is not a threat and asked the judge to put Bain on home incarceration since he does not have much of a criminal history. The judge denied that request.

Bain's attorney also called the tip police received manufactured and said "There is now evidence that Mr. Bain went so far as to purchase a weapon and modified it. We believe that's a valid threat to the community."

In the end, the judge increased Bain's $25,000 bond to $100,000.

The school system said it is taking the threats seriously.

BCPS Spokesman Eric Farris said. "We're not blind to the fact that it's almost the one year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Tragedy.”

Farris said this situation has been deemed an isolated incident and the threat has been effectively removed.  

Old Mill Elementary had increased personnel and a larger police presence than usual on Monday, but despite their best efforts to reassure parents the school is safe, attendance was down 20 percent.

"We want students in school so that they can be learning," said Farris. 

BCPS Superintendent Keith Davis released a statement saying that the district is beginning expulsion proceedings against Bain.  

Here is the full text of Davis' letter:

Dear BCPS Staff and Community,

By now, most everyone in our community has heard the news that an 18 year old teenager has been arrested for terroristic threatening related to Old Mill Elementary School. We initially learned of the investigation and arrest from the media on Sunday afternoon and commend the Mt. Washington Police Department for their rapid response and subsequent communication with district officials. Before making a broad statement, we wanted to make sure that we had a solid understanding of the facts. The individual alleged to have made the threat – Nick Bain - is in custody at the Bullitt County Detention Center and poses no danger to the students of Bullitt County Schools. He was arrested on Saturday four hours after MWPD received a report of Mr. Bain making threats against an individual student and against the school as a whole. It is our understanding that the threat was made several weeks ago, but the person making the report felt it should have been taken seriously only this weekend. According to court records, Bain was arraigned this morning and is being held on a $100,000 full cash bond. It is up to the Commonwealth's Attorney and the Bullitt County Grand Jury to determine his legal fate at this point, but based on the allegations made in the arrest report and from reports we have received from the County Attorney's office and Mt. Washington Police Department, we will begin expulsion proceedings and, if released from custody, he will receive educational services at an alternative location. Through all this, we should be mindful that Mr. Bain has been convicted of nothing and we will obviously reevaluate our response should new information come to light.

School resumed as normal at Old Mill Elementary School this morning, though attendance was only about 80%. Members of BCPS leadership team, Bullitt County Sheriff's Department, Mt. Washington Police Department and school administrators were present to greet, provide reassurance, and answer any questions from students, parents and community members. The district is working in cooperation with local law enforcement to ensure security and to exchange information throughout this investigation. Mt. Washington Police department moved quickly to act upon the reports made to apprehend the suspect and continues to work diligently to protect the community. To our knowledge, the investigation has yielded no other information to indicate that this event was anything other than an isolated event from one individual.    

Because of the current situation and in light of the anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting a year ago this week, added security measures are in place for all schools. Local law enforcement will provide an increased presence at all schools in Bullitt County during the next weeks. In the year since the tragic event at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Bullitt County Schools has made extensive modifications to a number of facilities and has refined and reinforced practices to control access to each school including requiring all visitors to present identification to the front office staff and state the reason for their visit prior to gaining entry to the building. Additionally, all schools' classroom doors are either locked or can be quickly locked during instruction to provide additional security for our students.  We have many avenues for students to make known their fears and suspicions and our staff members are constantly watchful for unusual behaviors.  Our local law enforcement agencies work closely with BCPS to plan for emergencies and are well prepared to respond to an event should one happen in our schools.  Despite the terrible events we see across the country where children are harmed, research shows that schools are a safer environment for students than anywhere else.  The absolute first priority of Bullitt County Schools is to provide the safest environment possible in which to educate our students. 

 

Copyright 2013 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.