Residents try to use fireplace to stay warm, spark attic fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Residents try to use fireplace to stay warm, spark attic fire in home

Posted: Updated:
Our reporter on the scene noticed the water spraying from the fire hydrant was freezing into a sheet of ice on the roadway. Our reporter on the scene noticed the water spraying from the fire hydrant was freezing into a sheet of ice on the roadway.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A home without working utilities caught fire while residents were heating the home using a fireplace.

Neighbors reported the fire at 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, telling 911 dispatchers they saw flames coming out of the attic at 4622 Valley Station Road in the Valley Station neighborhood of Louisville.

According to Metrosafe, it took Pleasure Ridge Park (PRP) firefighters about 15 minutes after they arrived on scene to get control of the blaze, putting it out just after 7:05 a.m.

Fire investigators are still working to determine the cause of the fire but believe a faulty fireplace and chimney are likely to blame.

Five people were home at the time of the fire and one man had to be rescued by emergency crews. No injuries were reported, however.

Firefighters said during the course of events one of the residents tried to get on the roof to put the fire out. Fire crews want to remind the public that is not a good idea.

The Red Cross is helping the people who are now displaced from their home.

This was the 15th run for the Pleasure Ridge Park Fire Department in the last 24 hours. An additional engine from the Fairdale Fire Department was called to help.

Metrosafe said the Lake Dreamland Fire Department has moved to PRP's station 1 fire house to cover them if another run comes in while they are cleaning up the scene on Valley Station Road.

Valley Station Road at Dodge Lane is closed while fire crews remain on the scene. Our reporter on the scene said traffic is backed up in the area.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.